Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Pantyhose and other dangers of life in the USA

Yikes! Had to go to temp agencies this morning to look for work (more on that later). And I haven't worn pantyhose in 10+ yrs. Why? I actually took some when we went to work in Oman, but quickly discovered that 100F+ temps and 70%+ humidity make for some very uncomfortable times if one is wearing nylons. Because the university is made up of many different small buildings (without air-conditioned tunnels, unfortunately) and I walked 8-10 times daily between my office building, different classrooms and the cafeteria (plus walking or biking to/from home, also on campus), it made a lot more sense to wear lots of loose flowing cotton! Hmmm...wonder if that's why the locals dress that way?! (See here for a picture taken in Salalah, Oman and a bit more about the traditional men's clothing--dishdasha, thawb, thobe--which is extremely sensible.)

Anyway, I got thru 2 interviews without the pantyhose falling down, or putting my toes thru the end! (Partly because I got a pedicure yesterday to ensure they last a bit longer).

No comments: